[ExI] Yet another health care debate

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 12:05:09 UTC 2008

When it comes to non-USians commenting on health care, we keep jumping in because we wish to help our fellow human being. After all, every year B-list celebrities line up every year to tell us how a handful of money can buy vaccines to save the life of a child in Africa. Our government gives aid to help public health schemes in the developing world. We may give money to Medecins Sans Frontieres, bringing medical treatment to conflict zones too dangerous or neglected for western governments to deal with.

 However, when it comes to America, and all the people lining up in emergency rooms as their only method of gaining access to health care, and to the poor children dieing young,as claimed in 2006 by CNN -
 http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/parenting/05/08/mothers.index/
 - when it comes to America, the US is the world's richest economy, and spends a much higher proportion of its GDP on healthcare than we do. Simply having telethons for children without healthcare in the US won't work. It seems the only way to stop the US children dieing, and help the poor folk who's HMO claims are rejected and are left bankrupted by hospital bills, is to encourage change. Only by political change and a will to help the worst off in society can America avoid this misery amongst its population.
 I will add a second post in a minute about the state of the UK healthcare system.

Tom