[ExI] AIG Bail out

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Sep 23 11:56:36 UTC 2008

Damien S. writes

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:22:17AM -0500, Max More wrote:
>
>> The economy will only grow more complex in the future. I find it
>> disturbing how so many of us still run to Great God Government for
>> top-down solutions to the intricacies of complex economic systems.
>
> I find it interesting that people who would admire top-down/bottom-up
> hybrids in other complex systems -- AI models, for example -- are
> allergic to them in society. :)

It may not always be the same people. I, for one, who believe
that a top-down design for an AI will probably not turn out
to be as successful as systems based upon evolutionary praxis,
am also to be counted among those who doubt the efficacy
of government solution to economic problems.

In both cases, we have a long tradition of over-estimating the
capabilities of the central planners and system designers,
who heretofore have little to show for their efforts in comparison
to expectations.

Lee