[ExI] miscommunication (was: Yet another health care debate)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Sep 25 00:59:26 UTC 2008

Damien writes

> Okay, I should apologize for my bad temper about all this. But look, John--

Indeed. Apparently I gave you an unwarranted apology, it might appear from
the below:

> Suppose someone wrote:
>
> "Al Queda do sometimes blow up Americans, but we are trying to hunt
> them down and kill them."
>
> How likely is it that you'd think "them" referred to "Americans"? The
> grammar is identical.

So *why* couldn't you see that you were just picking up
the wrong grammatical meaning? That's why I thought you
had to be kidding. John's sentence *was* ambiguous, and
in exactly the way I had thought, and the way I described.

(But you'll get no "Godawmighty! What nonsense is this?"
out of me---for, still, I could be wrong.)

Lee