[ExI] Article From March on SubPrime

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Sep 26 09:09:38 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:48:18AM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
>> Is it not the Fed that control interest rates and the money
>> supply?  I
>> confess I forget which agency, quasi-governmental private group (like
>> the Fed), does what these days.  But interest rates and inflation of
>> the money supply are critical enablers of major bubbles.
>
> Bubbles happened long before central banks like the Fed existed.  The
> Fed can make things worse -- probably the Great Depression, an
> extraordinary version of earlier 'panic' cycles -- but also better --
> the lack of panics and bank runs since then.

Hehehehe.  The Fed was all over the Great Depression.  There meddling
and the actions of government to attempt to force prices to stay high
are arguably what made the Great Depression "Great".   Other previous
market hits as severe were recovered from much more quickly.

Do you read the news?  We are following nearly precisely the pattern
of the Great Depression right now.   The government is pushing more
and more finagling of the economy when government policies largely got
us here in the first place.

- samantha