[ExI] The "Unreasonable" Effectiveness of Mathematics in theNatural Sciences

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 29 04:21:58 UTC 2008

> ...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> Subject: Re: [ExI] The "Unreasonable" Effectiveness of
> Mathematics in theNatural Sciences
>
> ...In the deep future when Earth is tidally
> locked, how self-evident will any of this appear?)
>
> Damien Broderick

Damien, let me pick of just this one point and leave the other for the more
astute physicists among us.  The Earth is not heading towards becoming tide
locked with the sun, not even in the deep future.  It will eventually tide
lock with the moon, but not the sun.  I did the calcs on this a bunch of
years ago, and I might be able to find those or reproduce it.  But the sun
goes into helium burning, swells and boils away the oceans long before the
Earth would become tide locked.  The helium burning phase comes an order of
magnitude sooner.