[ExI] What can be said to be "wrong", and what is "Truth"?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:30:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> We really should try to banish all sorts of capitalized "Truths"

... and this ifs not so difficult. It could even be contended that the
opposite is the "normal" human way of thinking, save for the continued
influence of judeochristian rereading of platonism both in popular
cultural and at an epistemological level.

In fact, in the ancient Greek of Democritos and Archimedes, and of
Homer before them, the word for truth is "aletheia", which means
simply "what has been unveiled", "what used to be hidden and is no
more", as in "I thought I had two amphoras of oil, but in truth I only
had one", far from hinting at any supposed ultimate, metaphysical,
objective and context-independent essence of reality.

Stefano Vaj