[ExI] The Nuclear Huns

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:58:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> [2] Once again I get the feeling that the U.S. and the U.S.S.R.
> are being held to different standards. Perhaps you think of the
> USSR as a mad dog not responsible for its actions, whereas
> think the US more like a thoughtful and judicious individual.
> We know that the mad dog is not going to change its behavior,
> so if a deadly conflict arises between it and a human being,
> we generally blame the human for having done something
> stupid, like failing to take adequate precautions.

No, you misunderstand me. My contention is that the Americans won the
Cuba confrontation because they had the guts that the Russians
ultimately realised not to have, in the process betraying the trust
and loyalty of the Cuban government as Che Guevara always sorely
remembered... :-)

It remains however true that the winning party in the circumstance was
by definition that able to persuade the other one of its willingness
to go if necessary all the way towards Mutual Assured Destruction.

Stefano