[ExI] U.S. Medical Care

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:55:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>wrote:

> The one area where regulation does prevent anyone who feels like it
> from practising medicine is prescription drugs. The argument is that
> they are too dangerous to be used without medical supervision

This is a legacy of a "nanny-State" mentality where I believe most
transhumanists in spite of their possibly different political persuasions
might converge towards an abolitionist position.

Informed, consenting adults should be allowed to assume whatever substance
they like for any purpose whatsoever, including, inter alia, enhancement,
self-therapy, alternative-therapy (or other) experimentation, new drug
trials, recreational purposes, euthanasia, etc.

It would seem obvious by now that the economic and social costs arising from
futile and distorsive attempts to enforce the current regime are higher than
any perceived, hypothetical advantage thereof.

--
Stefano Vaj