[ExI] U.S. Medical Care

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:37:29 UTC 2009

On 4/2/09, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> One difference to consider is that if you misuse drugs, you usually
>  harm only yourself, while if you misuse nuclear weapons, you harm
>  other people as well. In cases where you harm others as a result of
>  drug use, such as with driving while intoxicated or indiscriminate use
>  of antibiotics, it is easier to justify limits on freedom.

Well, presumably you would not misuse nuclear weapons accidentally, so
you should be talking about deliberate misuse of drugs.
Like dumping them in the water system, poisoning large groups of
people, murder weapons, serial killers, acid-throwing, poison gas
release, etc. I'm sure you can think of many more examples.

Obviously forbidding easy access to drugs doesn't stop all misuse. But
it does stop an alienated teenager putting poisonous drugs in the
school water tank.

BillK