[ExI] free access to drugs (was Re: U.S. Medical Care)

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:44:37 UTC 2009

2009/4/3 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:

> OTC (Over the Counter) drugs are allowed for treatment of specific
> short-term illnesses that patients can easily diagnose and treat
> themselves. There is an ongoing movement to get more and more drugs
> given OTC status. So the 'freedom' supporters are in line with what is
> currently happening.  Yeehaw!!!!
>
> Unfortunately when you look at what is happening in more detail, you
> find that big pharma is one of the main supporters. Their main
> objective is increased sales, driven by colourful advertising to as
> much of the general public as they can persuade to waste money on
> their products. It's not freedom, - it's more 'con the mugs for as
> much as you can'.
>
> Pharmacists also welcome more OTC drugs as producing more profit for
> themselves. They already now stock homeopathic remedies and 'natural'
> remedies on the next counter and much of the public cannot tell the
> difference.
>
> And, guess who the other supporters are? It's the government and
> health plan companies. Why? Because the more drugs you spend your own
> money on, the less the government has to pay for through national
> health schemes. They want to reduce their huge prescription drug
> costs. Most OTC drugs are not covered by health plans, so the cost is
> transferred to the general public.
>
> So, do you really want to support changes that are supported by big
> pharma, the government and pharmacist shop chains? Do you think they
> really have your best interests at heart?

You could make a similar argument about the food industry pushing
their wares without regard for consumers' welfare. We would probably
be a lot healthier if food could only be dispensed if prescribed by a
dietitian, but people won't stand for this because it infringes on
their freedom.

--
Stathis Papaioannou