[ExI] U.S. Medical Care

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:40:32 UTC 2009

At 01:15 PM 4/3/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

> > > This is the extropian list, not the fucking Dept. of Soviet Psychiatry &
>Gulags.
>
>Point well taken however.  All posters, please read your stuff twice before
>posting.

Mirco's statement wasn't an accidental slip of the keyboard; he later
repeated his sentiment. But perhaps it's a language problem, since
"alienated" in English usage means disaffected with one's situation
or culture, not "requiring treatment by an alienist". Still, this is
pretty damned creepy:

"Maybe you think I advocated to put him/her inside an asylum forever,
but I'm not doing this.
I only advocate to do it for the limited time needed to make him/her
calm and not dangerous for him/herself and others and, maybe, help
him/her to not feel alienated."

For someone who actually works as a psychiatric nurse (as Mirco does,
I gather) to say this is disturbing. Maybe he could change his name
to Nurse Ratched.#

Damien Broderick

#ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073486/