[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 5 15:30:51 UTC 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Isabelle Hakala
  To: ExI chat list
  Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

  One of the things that occurs to me about mind uploading is this... I would want to upload my mind, and let that 'simulation' run for, oh... say a decade, without any outside influences, and me still living in the outside world, and then compare notes with my uploaded self. What had each of us learned different? Did we still agree on things? What had changed? Etc. For me that would be an important step in feeling like it would be worth-while to do it again at the 'end' of my life so as to preserve myself, and then live on from there. It would answer a lot of questions for me. I believe in something one might consider to be a 'soul', and it doesn't bother me to think that a simulacrum of myself might be running around someplace that may or may not have my 'soul' attached to it as well. Either it would have a part of my soul attached to it, which would be fine, or it wouldn't and then it wouldn't make any difference at all.

  If this experiment were run, one would be able to see if the simulacrum finds life on the 'inside' as satisfying as the person on the outside does.

  Just a thought:)

  Isabelle Hakala
  "Any person who says 'it can't be done' shouldn't be interrupting the people getting it done."
  "Do every single thing in life with love in your heart."