[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Apr 5 16:51:39 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of John K Clark
>
> People wail "but that upload just wouldn't be me" but when
> asked exactly why it wouldn't be you the response I get is
> always the same; I receive paragraphs and paragraphs of
> verbiage, but every single one of the grand sounding
> pseudo-scientific phrases in them turn out to be nothing but
> euphemisms for the soul or plaintive cries that silicon could
> never hope to equal meat, it just couldn't.
>
> And it's not just Extropians, my premise is too shocking for
> Shock Level Four also. Sorry if I sound a bit cranky, but
> that's the way I see it.
>
>  John K Clark

OK but your contention surprises me.  Guess I never really do follow the
endless identity threads very carefully.  I have always assumed that if we
know enough about a carbon atom, we can write a computer simulation of one,
and if we know enough about neurons, axons and dendrites we can simulate a
brain cell in software, and if we can simulate a brain cell using the carbon
atom sims, and we can sim 100 billion of them working together using the
brain cell sims, and if so, 100 billion brains working together and if so,
that meta-sim is not only us but better than we are, a superset of us.  This
superset is desperately needed, for humanity seems to be at a critical
historical choke point, presented with two small holes over which we fight
for access, like the ants, instead of finding a meta-solution.