[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:15:39 UTC 2009

2009/4/6 John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:

>> Going from that near-truism to your suicidal proposition is a complete
>> non-sequitur that ignores *point of view*.
>
> That is obviously false, UNLESS my basic premise is untrue. Talking as if
> there were two different points of view among beings with identical
> memories, constructed with identical instructions and using atoms the
> scientific method cannot distinguish between might make some sense;
> provided the soul existed. It's complete gibberish otherwise.

Most on this list agree with your premises but the conclusion that
one's consciousness will necessarily transfer into the copy isn't
obvious. And belief in a soul does not make a difference to the basic
argument, since it could be argued that even if God miraculously
duplicated your soul in the copy this *still* wouldn't result in
consciousness being transferred.

--
Stathis Papaioannou