[ExI] Extropy List and Rules

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Apr 6 13:16:30 UTC 2009

Shall we return this list to the mind-blowing, insightful, outrageous,
critical, humous, amazing and high-minded discussions about the state of the
world and the future?  This list sets the reputation of its members,
Extropy, and transhumanism in general.

Here is the rules as stated by Extropy Institute. We no longer have the team
of moderators (LATTE) but we do have moderators and who mind the rules:
"EXTROPY-CHAT" LIST AGREEMENT:

We have a few rules about how you interact with the list. Your continued
subscription indicates your acceptance of these rules. We do not like rules
for their own sake. The List rules are just those we believe will keep the
level of discussion high and polite.

The immediate managers of this email list are a group of independent
moderators ("List Deputies", collectively and less formally known as the
"List Admin Team for Thwarting Entropy" or LATTE). The list Deputies have
been approved by the board of directors of Extropy Institute. The Deputies
are judged to be relatively independent and rational. In cases where they
may have conflicts of interest (i.e. officers of Extropy Institute or
members of the board or people involved in direct discussions with a party
to a dispute) they will seek out at least one second independent opinion of
other moderators.

In cases where the List Deputies judge that an individual is subtracting
more than they are contributing, i.e. more entropic than extropic, that
individual may be removed from the list by the list management. This
provision intends to protect the List community from those who would
persistently and unproductively cause disruption yet skirt any specific
infringement of this agreement.

Personal Attacks: We do not allow personal attacks or libelous statements.
Those violating this rule may be removed from the List without notice. Those
guilty of any lesser form of ad hominem attack (i.e. attacking the character
of a poster rather than combating the poster's argument) will be subject to
a private warning on a first offense, but on any subsequent offense may be
either warned again or immediately temporarily suspended or permanently
banned. Extropy Institute's list administrators will determine the duration
of said ban.

The exact definition of personal attack or ad hominem is sometimes fuzzy.
We will interpret "personal attack" to include ad hominem, personal attacks
on a person's character, accusations, harassment, excessive rudeness,
slander, privacy violations, rumor spreading, misquoting, misrepresentation,
disinformation, dishonesty, or any other unprofessional or disruptive
behavior aimed at particular individuals or groups.

If someone attacks your character, insults you, or otherwise violates the
above rule, do NOT retaliate in like manner. Instead, send a complaint (to
exi-list-admin at extropy.org) and take the matter off-list.

We do not allow repeating or passing along of rumors or accusations about
other List subscribers. We will treat this the same way as making
accusations directly.

Copyright: It is a violation of international laws to copy material in its
entirety without permission of the copyright holder. Even though such
material may be found on the Internet (e.g. the Internet archive
[www.archive.org] or the Google cache) it is the policy of Extropy Institute
to discourage such copying. We instead suggest copying of relevant segments
which may fall under "fair use" guidelines or simply posting the URLs to any
noteworthy material. This minimizes the material that people may have to
read (making the list a better information provider) as well as making
things easier on list managers who may be forced to delete records that
involve wholesale copyright infringement. Individuals who adopt a behavior
of routine copyright infringement may be terminated from the list at the
discretion of the moderators.

Advertising: It is against our rules to advertise or solicit business
without our permission. Many people online do not want to see solicitations
and sales messages when they are trying to read a high-density discussion
list. Certain kinds of solicitation may be permitted, but our permission
must first be obtained. Violation of this rule may result in termination of
your subscription. [Personal professional announcements or discussion of
personal professional activities are appropriate to the list, if they
generally relate to the over-all subject matter discussed there.]

Thank you for your cooperation in making the Extropy-Chat List a stimulating
and enjoyable forum.
_______________________

EXTROPY-CHAT LIST GUIDELINES:

Posting Protocol

If you post to the Extropy-Chat List, you must anticipate that your writing
might be forwarded to another list or to particular individuals. Postings
will appear in a publicly accessible archive at:

http://www.extropy.org/exi-lists/extropy/

Please be aware that Extropy Institute does not accept responsibility for
the use or misuse of posts addressed to the Extropy-Chat List. The List is
not moderated in that messages are NOT pre-screened before appearing.

Statements on the Extropy-Chat List by Extropy Institute directors,
Advisors, or executive officers should be presumed as the individual's own
views and are not to be taken as official statements representing Extropy
Institute.

We intend for these Guidelines and the moderation of the List to increase
the "extropic density" of the List in line with the
<http://www.extropy.org/principles.htm> Extropy Principles.

It is strongly recommended but not required that all list members use a
signature containing their e-mail address.

Due to the volume of list traffic please restrain yourself from over-quoting
following the discussion is usually sufficient.

Traffic on this mailing list can run quite high. We like to keep the
signal-to-noise ratio as high as we can, so please restrain the impulse to
post "me-too" messages or ad hominem flames to the list at large. If you
cannot resist engaging in such discourse, please do so in private e-mail.

Be polite. The truth and the whole truth can be written without the need for
rudeness or blindness to the feelings of others. The Principles of Extropy
highlight the value of Self-Direction. This implies both upholding rights
and individuals taking responsibility for directing their own actions. In
the environment of our email list, taking responsibility for polite
communication will greatly contribute to the health of the group. If in
doubt about the appropriate tone, write to other list members in the tone
you'd use to speak to someone face to face.

Have the strength of forbearance to let someone else have "the last word".
By doing this you will discourage escalation of unproductive conflict and
contribute to the enjoyment and learning of subscribers to the List.

Given the number of subscribers to the Extropy-Chat mailing list, we
strongly recommend that you restrain yourself to a MAXIMUM of eight posts
per day. Those who exceed the eight posts per day limit will receive a
private warning. Repeat offenders will be subject to other measures such as
temporary or permanent bans from the list.

Posts about the list, or its rules, should have the pre-fix "META:" We
encourage the use of other prefixes indicating the content of a post.
Examples include, PHIL:, MATH:, SCI:, CHAT:, ARTS:, etc.

Since the topic of discussion on the list can change constantly within a
single thread, we ask that the subject lines change accordingly. If you feel
that a thread is going off the original topic, that's perfectly fine, but
please change the subject line to let all list readers know what the topic
has become.

History has proven that some topics, which are occasionally introduced on
the Extropy-Chat List, have been controversial enough to provoke
long-lasting, heated exchanges. The main topic of controversy in the past
has been that of guns and gun rights, though there are other issues, which
have had a similar effect. While it is Extropy Institute's policy not to ban
any topic, new members to this list should be forewarned as to the potential
consequences of posting on this and other issues. We once again encourage
you to read the list for a while prior to posting. We encourage those
interested in continuing and probably heated discussions (typically related
to politics) to moved those discussions to a different email list.

Formal complaints and administrative requests should be sent to:

exi-list-admin at extropy.org

(except sub and unsub requests, which go to majordomo at extropy.org)

Complaints will be handled by the List Admin Team for Thwarting Entropy
(LATTE) - also known as "List Deputies". As of August 23, 2003 the Deputies
are:

Amara Graps
Spike Jones
Barbara Lamar
Samantha Atkins
Giulio Prisco

Mail to the list should be sent to: extropy-chat at extropy.org

The software that processes traffic on the list alters the mail headers so
that all correctly working mail readers will automatically address replies
BACK to the LIST. [reply-to: extropy-chat at extropy.org]

If you want to reply to an individual poster you should manually address a
reply. If the post does not have a signature line, viewing the message in a
text editor should help you determine the sender's address.

For more information about Extropy Institute activities,
<mailto:contact:exi-info at extropy.org> contact:
exi-info at extropy.org
Or visit:  <http://www.extropy.org/> http://www.extropy.org/
You can join as a member at: http://www.extropy.org/join.html