[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 6 19:50:36 UTC 2009

"Stefano Vaj" <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>

> I obviously do not deny the operational usefulness of concepts such as
> consciousness or personality - which we are relatively ready to recognise
> even to things such as legal entities . Simply, we should realise that
> they are *constructs*, not "essences" which can be investigated or
> discussed per se.

Part of that you got right, intelligence is certainly a construct, and
although I can't prove it with mathematical precision I am absolutely
certain consciousness is too. In fact, not only am I absolutely certain I'm
probably correct too.

However the other part you got exactly backwards. An essence is the point
where you stop asking "what is this made of?" so there is little that can be
said about an essence. The soul is an essence, that's one reason the soul is
crap. A construct on the other hand is made of parts so there is lots you
can say about it and lots of investigations into it that actually lead
somewhere.

ME:
>> There is not one person on planet Earth who thinks he does not think.

You:
> How would you know? Exceptions keep popping in my head

I should have said not one person this side of a Looney Bin.

John K Clark