[ExI] What's wrong with Maher's Religulous?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 10 02:37:47 UTC 2009

At 03:54 PM 4/9/2009 -0700, Fred wrote:

>I interpreted all of what Maher was doing in the movie as part of the
>joke but if someone else wants to interpret differently I guess they
>can.  But to me that is missing part of the joke in the movie.

I just watched it at http://megavideo.com/?v=7viu43yz and it's a joke
only in the blackest, grimmest way, a joke with a very serious
uncompromising message embedded in it (which is presented too
apocalyptically, maybe, but I agree with almost everything he says).
The humor is all of the form, "Adults *said* that? They *did* that?
Wtf??!!" So yes, he's emphasizing what's egregiously ridiculous and
dangerous in "faith" rather than what's sweet and consoling and
kindly, and some of his more bizarre spokescritters for faith are
extremists not typical of the average churchgoer--but what I think he
shows very effectively is how *entangled and complicit* the "nice"
people are in the crazy, ludicrous, brain-stopping, dangerous bullshit.

Of course, given some of the crazy, dangerous bullshit we've seen on
the ExI chat list recently, this human failing is not restricted to
those deluded by religions. But I'd guess the proportion of loons is
lower here. I hope.

Damien Broderick