[ExI] are all cultures equivalent?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 13 06:32:32 UTC 2009

At 03:46 PM 4/13/2009 +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> >Economic freedom creates wealth.

>And, in the final analysis, the efficient and productive systems
>shall prevail over the less efficient, less productive. So what
>would you say if in a few decades the wealthiest, most powerful
>nations are not following a pure free market economic program?

Why, surely that *no* nation in these terrible decades has followed
such a program. Also, it couldn't happen. It just couldn't.

Actually, I'm more concerned about an orthogonal issue. Let's assume
that unconstrained market freedom does indeed maximize wealth
especially if it doesn't pay any attention to externalities, as was
the case (I gather) in its heyday. But does that tide of wealth
really lift all boats, or is the extra wealth channeled into few and
fewer hands (as has happened, I gather, in the last decade or more in
the US)? Is an aristocracy of immense wealth really the US ideal?
Used not to be, I hear.

Damien Broderick