[ExI] are all cultures equivalent?

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 13 20:22:22 UTC 2009

"Dan" <dan_ust at yahoo.com>

> Category error in my view:

Bullshit.

> Islam is an abstraction or an aggregate.

Bullshit

> What does act is an Islamic person

A Person infected with a virulent mind virus called "Islam".

> Muslims have made what some of us might consider positive contributions.

But not in the last 800 years.

>  But what's the point of this discussion?

To find the truth.

> Also, it seems quite clear that Muslims are able to take up Western
> technologies and ideas and use them for their ends.

No you are quite wrong, they're not even very good at copying. A few Muslim
countries through a lucky geological break happen to be sitting on top of a
lake that contains 2/3 of the world's oil and so are rich, but
that hasn't stopped Nigeria, a Muslim country with lots of oil, from being
the second poorest country on Earth, beaten only by Mozambique, another
Muslim country.  Continuing on our list of the poorest countries in the
world we have Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, The Congo, Bangladesh, Angola and
Afghanistan, all are predominantly Muslim countries. Do you really think it
is just a coincidence all if them are Islamic? I mean political correctness
is all very well but I don't think it should take precedence over logic.

Let's look at a subset of the Muslim world, the Arabs. There are over 250
million Arabs and they have most of the world's oil, but nevertheless the
GNP of the entire Arab world is less than that of Spain, a country with no
oil and a population of only 40 million. One reason for this may be that the
number of books translated into Arabic over the past thousand years is about
the same as the number of books translated into Spanish just last year.

I freely admit this is an entirely subjective statement but in my personal
opinion Islamic culture sucks.

> Maybe I missed something...

An entirely reasonable hypothesis.

  John K Clark