[ExI] Ketman

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 14 00:38:27 UTC 2009

While I'm on Rafal's case, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, painlord2k at libero.it
> <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
>
>> How do I differentiate from a "moderate" Muslim from a "extremist" Muslim?
>> Many purported "moderate" Muslims are so only when they are speaking in
>> a western language to westerns, but they are "extremists" when they
>> speak in Arabic to Muslims. This is know like al-Taqiyya/Dissimulation
>> or Ketman (also spelled Kitman)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketman
>>
>>> Ketman (Arabic kitmān كتمان "secrecy, concealment") is the act of
>>> paying lip service to authority while holding personal opposition.
>>> It is a sort of political or religious camouflage,
>
> ### Do you realize that your post is literally incoherent?

How odd of you to say that. Are you serious?

> You start out by arguing that in principle you cannot tell the difference
> between nice Muslims and asshole Muslims (which, if true, could be a
> reason to treat them all alike) but then you justify this claim by
> quoting persons who actually were able to tell the difference ("many
> undercover reporters"). So which is it?

It was clear to me that he was saying that *despite* the known
practices of Ketman (which were very interesting to read about),
there is a reality to the situation, whether or not in some,
or none, or many instances it is concealed.

> Painlord, I know you can think clearly, you are a smart dude, your
> posts about economics show it but it looks like that tribal stuff is
> messing you up.

It is of the utmost interest to me that the refrain is repeated
over and over again that "your side in this argument is not
thinking clearly". Funny---why do you suppose that we do not
accuse *you* of that? I do not think that you are failing to
think clearly, and of others, I'd have never used that description
---I merely pointed out that they (at times in some posts) were
not making arguments (i.e. being merely emotional).

Consider the set of all cases in which one side accuses the
other of "not thinking clearly". I'll bet that you conclude
that in the majority of cases, those making the complaint
feel a little desperate about something (even if for an
understandable reason).

Lee