[ExI] Where’s my body’s Control Panel?

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 13:23:26 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 4/13/09, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Dan" <dan_ust at yahoo.com>
>> Do you also agree that you made a mistake with regard
>> to my beliefs?
>
> No, I don’t agree with that. I think you’re talking
> nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

>> Imagine there're are two paths of development that are
>> otherwise highly
>> similar. [..] In the other, the non-filtering tech
>> gets invented (and
>> deployed in the right way) first.  The filtering
>> tech comes later.
>
> I don’t give a hoot in hell which comes first! I’m
> talking abut about
> geologic, no I’m wrong, I’m talking about Cosmetologist
> ages; on that time
> scale who came who was first is unimportant.

Let me try again.  Let's say it there are two paths (again).  In one path, filtering tech develops first -- long before any non-filtering tech.  This works well for your scenario and explains Fermi: you humans are either the first or will soon be silent (and we shall find someone else to pester).  On the other, non-filtering tech develops first and filtering tech only develops (or is deployed effectively as a filter) 100 million years later.  In which case, there would be geologic time scales of spreading out.  (Surely, such are NOT needed if things like mega-engineering projects, making lots of non-noise, and space migration can happen on scales smaller than, say, a thousand years.)

Regards,

Dan