[ExI] Evo-psych/was Re: The Extro List- Past/Future

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Apr 14 21:26:59 UTC 2009

Quoting Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>:

> --- On Tue, 4/14/09, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Dan
>> <dan_ust at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, spike <spike66 at att.net>
>> >
>> > All of you have to stop falling into this nostalgia
>> funk.  You're intelligent and creative enough to come up
>> with new ideas and bounce them off each other.  Why not
>> focus on that and transcend this depressive reminiscing?
>>
>> I have been rereading Accelerando, which thoroughly mines
>> the
>> Extropian list of the early 90s for ideas.  There
>> actually were not
>> more than a couple of dozen ideas over a 6 year period of
>> time, so one
>> every three months would do it.
>>
>> Lots of new ideas, reformulating sociology in terms of
>> evolutionary
>> psychology, cortical column simulation as in Conway's Life
>> as a path
>> to AI, and using gravity gradient "space anchors" as a way
>> to counter
>> light pressure effects on power satellites.
>>
>> But these topics don't generate discussion here.
>
> Let's try!  What's wrong with evolutionary psychology?  To me, some
> of it seems like a rehash of earlier attempts to physicalize
> consciousness.
> Comments?

... I was just reading the first few pages of _Social Darwinism in
American thought_ ...

I think Keith's analysis is certainly less than accurate.  In fact I
could mine this list easily and find discussion on his above-list.
Nonetheless let's kick it to the curb and discuss anything other than
the OctoMom's broad, in deference to the year of Darwin.

Natasha