[ExI] the next big thing: was RE: proposed moratorium...

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 20:52:52 UTC 2009

On 4/17/09, spike wrote:
<snip>
>  So my question is this.  What is the next big thing that is analogous to
>  these, where almost no one uses it now, but after it makes market
>  penetration, to do without it would cause widespread panic or even large
>  numbers to perish?  What is the next big thing?  Is there another big thing
>  coming?

Well, if you let me go back about only ten years, I'd suggest the mobile phone.

Ten years ago, few people used the heavy brick-like mobile phones.

Now they are absolutely indispensable from about age 8 onwards.
People cannot imagine life without their phone.
Any film over ten years old has had the plot ruined by kids saying,
"Why doesn't he just phone for help?".

But I suppose you want something even newer than that?   :)

BillK