[ExI] the next big thing: was RE: proposed moratorium...

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 05:19:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Well, I can imagine people becoming so dependent on what
> you suggest that indeed many people would die if it all
> suddenly broke down. For it could happen with matter
> compilers that a lot of people would move to where sun
> energy was cheap, set themselves up on an acre or so,
> and forget about the rest of the world. Then indeed many
> would perish should something happen to their matter
> compilers (though I may have taken liberties with your
> basic idea of fabbers).

You have the idea correct.  I made the distinction that nano-magical
machines aka matter compilers are a bit more advanced than today's 3D
printers.  Simply having a device that's capable of forming basic products
like dishes for example would make it possible to "reprint" when fashion
dictates plates should be square rather than round - without adding millions
of round plates to landfills.

It's getting a little old, but check this thing out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAt2xD1L8dw