[ExI] External costs (was Re: are all cultures equivalent?)

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Apr 18 19:00:16 UTC 2009

On 18 Apr, 2009, at 11:34, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Apr, 2009, at 1:20, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>>>
>>>  It can be dealt with by
>>> describing the property rights relevant to the stream, and letting
>>> involved parties hammer out deals.
>>
>> Which is, in a real sense, what the Clean Water Act does.
>>
> ### Not really. You can't call other users of your lake and agree to
> start dumping garbage - the EPA goons will prevent you from doing that
> no matter what owners of the lake want. Regulation preempts trade.

Because you can't gain agreement from users of the lake that are 100
years in the future, nor can you recompensate them. You can agree to
start dumping nuclear waste in the lake and -permanently- destroy the
lake. What amount of money do you consider to be ample recompensation
for that? Give me a number that isn't fabricated whole cloth and your
reasoning behind it.

The EPA "goons" are in the right on this.

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>