[ExI] fbi expands dna database

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Apr 19 22:27:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 13:02 -0700, spike wrote:

> This looks to me like it violates 4th amendment rights.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/us/19DNA.html?_r=2
>
>  Why isn't this causing widespread outrage?  It appears to be slipping
> quietly under the radar.

When you say "under the radar" exactly what radar are you talking about?
Media? Civil Liberties groups? J. Random Person?  The reason I ask is
because I have seen other news stories about this so it is not like this
is the first time I have heard about it and I think various Civil
liberties groups have been on this.  For example ACLU has a comment
http://www.aclu.org/crimjustice/gen/39207prs20090330.html  Back in May
of 2008 the EFF talked about it when it was first being proposed:
http://www.eff.org/action/protectdna  So if anyone who is signed up for
the EFF email would have known about it long ago.  I highly recommend
getting the EFF email.  That along with a couple of blogs such as
http://www.reason.com/blog/ and http://www.boingboing.net/ are pointers
to all kinds of similar stuff.  For example the reason blog was all over
the story about the corrupt and incompetent medical examiner in
Mississippi for a long time before anything was done.  The reason blog
has also been good about gathering up stories on War on Drug raids that
are just stupid. As for the radar of J. Random Person well I am tempted
to say something condescending and snarky but I will practice some self
restraint.

If you are asking why J. Random Person is not upset even if they know
about it; well that is an interesting question.

Fred