[ExI] External costs (was Re: are all cultures equivalent?)

Aware aware at awareresearch.com
Sun Apr 19 22:37:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/09, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>> ### In these difficult discussion I always try to carve reality at the
>>  joints, so as to avoid all kinds of emotional and other interference
>>  while analyzing issues point by point. The assumption of lack of
>>  radioactive spread which would damage the property of third parties is
>>  necessary while we discuss whether lake owners have the right to do
>>  whatever they please with it. If we tried discuss the question of
>>  accidental damage to others (i.e. torts) while at the same time
>>  grappling with the very notion of property rights, it would totally
>>  overwhelm our cognitive capacities, wouldn't you think?

Doesn't this strike at the heart of the naive (pure) Libertarian
stance?  Isn't it almost always the case that real-world
inefficiencies impair the pure, frictionless free transactions upon
which the Libertarian dream depends?  If so, mustn't we rely on an
ever more efficient framework within which to conduct our "free"
market bargaining?

- Jef
(who couldn't resist breaking his abstinence for this question.)