[ExI] the next big thing

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 13:56:34 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 4/22/09, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/22 Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>:
> >
> > --- On Tue, 4/21/09, painlord2k at libero.it
> <painlord2k at libero.it>
> wrote:
> >> But the "big thing" will be the ability to monitor
> the body
> >> and its functions / states. What I see is
> something like the
> >> BodyBug, but on steroids and implantable. This
> could very
> >> well melt with the implantable cellphone
> immediately or
> >> after.
> >>
> >> The BodyBug and other similar devices (like the
> Fitbit)
> >> satisfy another need / want of the people:
> awareness of
> >> their body conditions and feedback. A continuous
> feedback
> >> beat a sporadic feedback in usefulness.
> >
> > A lot of monitoring can be done now.  I wonder if
> there are many healthy people out there who opt for some
> sort of frequent >or even continuous body monitoring.
>  (Certainly, a lot of life extensionists do routine blood
> testing that goes beyond just >checking cholesterol
> levels.)  It's be interesting because of the data that
> could be gained from a a decent population of such
> >people.
>
> Again, I say it's the comms network (the internet + mobiles
> + etc)
> that is the real big thing here. Monitoring your own body
> functions is
> interestingish maybe but not that big a deal. Aggregations
> of
> biometric data gathered in realtime from large populations,
> you'd
> think that might revolutionise medicine (more).

That was my point (not claiming any originality here): monitor lots of people and mine the data for patterns.  For instance, what if we minutely monitored thousands of people with the flu or headaches or during normal sleep?  A lot might be learned, including how to do more interventions and what happens "normally" as a baseline for understanding abnormal happenings.

Regards,

Dan