[ExI] retrainability of plebeians

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:35:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW, "voluntary" means for me that no threat of an attack against you
>> is used to induce a behavior which also implies that in real life
>> almost all paid behaviors are a subset a voluntary behaviors.
>>
>> Rafal
>
> You're right, you're dead right, it's ambiguous. Paid employment is
> not direct coercion. However, there is a difference between stuff you
> do because you get paid to, and stuff you do regardless. What's good
> language for that?

### "chore", "job", "task", "labor" vs. "play", "entertainment",
"amusement", "hobby"? Note the connotations of seriousness and
possibly usefulness with the former and the association of the latter
with frivolity. There are occasional diversions that are useful and
lots of jobs that can be useless but overall if you want usefulness
and productivity you are talking about jobs, not fun and games.

Rafal