[ExI] some inneresting comments of the Krugman graph

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 3 22:17:25 UTC 2009

eg: in ref to

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/temperature-trends/

<Actually, what seems a better “model” to me is
superimposing three trends: 1) A modest
underlying warming trend as we crawl out of the
centuries-long Little Ice Age (approx warming
trendline seen 1850-1910), 2) An oscillating
warming/cooling trend caused by shifts in
AMO/PDO, and 3) a man-made warming trend which is
very weak before 1900, weak until ~1940, stronger
after 1940 due to both GHG emissions and land use
changes. From 1910-1940 you get #1 positive, #2
positive, #3 weakly positive for some pretty
steep warming resulting in huge numbers of record
highs from 1936-1944 or so. #2 goes negative from
1940-1975, flattening or slightly overcoming the
other trends. Then #2 goes positive again from
1975-2002 with #3 more strongly positive than
earlier in the century. Having all three positive
from 1975-2002 made for steep, scary warming -
but that’s not the real long-term trend, and at
some point #1 is going to roll off - given the
sun’s recent behavior, that may be starting to
happen. Solar activity has been rising since the
Maunder Minimum 350 years ago, but seems to be
changing heading into SC24. If it’s peaked, that
would be good news on the warming front.

If you “model” it that way, you definitely see
that mankind has an impact - but it’s not driving
everything. That makes sense, since we produce
about 4% of the total global CO2 emissions each
year, and CO2 is responsible for perhaps 3.5% of
the total greenhouse effect. Multiply those
together, and our contribution is modest unless
you assume extremely high positive feedbacks in
the system. Natural systems which have been
stable to within +/- 3% or so over huge stretches
of geologic time really cannot be dominated by
positive feedbacks - we’d already either be an iceball or a fireball.
­ Mike Upham >

Database version: 6.12960