[ExI] Richard Lindzen on climate hysteria

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 4 16:06:15 UTC 2009

"Alfio Puglisi" <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com>

> Wind energy instead can be a major player.

Wind energy will never be more than a bit player, you're going to have to
find something one hell of a lot better than that if you plan to get rid of
fossil fuels.

 > I understood that your stance until now was "it's not happening" [global
> warming] - is that incorrect?

I think it would be more accurate to say I don't care very much if it's
happening or not. I say this for 3 reasons:

1) Even if it is happening global warming would probably be a good thing on
the whole.

2) Even if I'm wrong about the above with current technology there is
nothing we can do about it so there is no point obsessing over it.

3) If in a century or two we find that it is turning into a serious problem
we can deal with it then when our box of tools will be far more powerful
than it is now.

> your waving of "millions" and "billions" of deaths and starving people
> without good evidence

Exactly what sort of evidence would satisfy you? If you're serious about
this then the first thing you're going to have to do is get China to stop
using coal, a substance much vilified but a substance that has lifted 400
million people out of poverty in the last 20 years. Then you're going to
have to turn off all the other fossil fuels that drive our world. To
maintain that such a huge disruption of human affairs could happen without
Mega Death is foolish.

 John K Clark