[ExI] did the multiverse just get thinner?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 4 16:42:17 UTC 2009

Giant Particle Collider Fizzles
By DENNIS OVERBYE
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/science/space/04collide.html?ref=science>

<The biggest, most expensive physics machine in the world is riddled
with thousands of bad electrical connections.

Many of the magnets meant to whiz high-energy subatomic particles
around a 17-mile underground racetrack have mysteriously lost their
ability to operate at high energies.>

Has anyone yet commented on the (extremely implausible) possibility
that the LHC *must* create a world-killing black hole--or wormhole or
the like--in the vast majority of adjacent or superposed worlds where
a series of absurd accidents and coincidences *hasn't* stopped the
machine from being activated? And since we're still here, it's
precisely because our world is one of the few with the serious
breakdowns... If this crazy idea catches on, there'll be even more
fearful voices clamoring to have the thing smashed. Then again, it
could even be true.

Damien Broderick

Database version: 6.12970