[ExI] [wta-talk] Richard Lindzen on climate hysteria

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:38:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Mirco Romanato<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> The hysteria I was writing about is this:
> http://anhonestclimatedebate.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/climate-change-alarmism-timelin/
> http://butnowyouknow.wordpress.com/those-who-fail-to-learn-from-history/climate-change-timeline/

Your two lists are revealing!

To understand them, note first that the introductory text is
incorrect. They both start saying: "climate “scientists have been
claiming....", while instead collecting headlines mostly from popular
newspapers.

They do switch between doom predictions of cooling and warming, and
are as such a good example of the "hysteria" you describe.

But, they mix many citations from newspapers with a few citations from
scientific journals.and official organizations.

Guess what, all the scientific citations are on the warming side!
Except for a single quote from New Scientists, all the cooling/warming
switches and exaggerated warnings were made by newspapers and popular
press, not scientific research.

> It appear this is nothing new, apart for the clueless.

The moral from your "hysteria" lists: don't use newspapers as a guide
in scientific matters, and especially to decide how much clue you, or
others, have.

Alfio