[ExI] Curves on a graph

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 6 13:37:02 UTC 2009

When using the tanh() function to map the time-technology curve for a species, not as most Transhumanist speak of it as a representation of a civilization, there are several additional aspects that become usefull.

The first is the use of the 'height' of the curve being a relative representation of 'intelligence' or 'technological capability' (it's not clear they are the same). Consider all species, microbe to man, start out at 0,0 (or some convenient point for discussion) and they develop as time progresses, or they go extinct. This means at some point in the far future the line becomes a negative edge step function to zero. The 'success' of that species is the length of time from the positive going tanh() step to the negative going edge. Now for any species the maximum technology they can attain is a function of their cerebral 'efficiency' at using the physical environment around them and understanding it in an abstract manner.

This means that a 'technology map' for a volumetric space (eg our solar system) is actually a multi-threaded set of tanh() progressing in parallel with different tanh() and negative going steps spread across the time axis. That difference in height can be considered an 'intelligence quotient' k, this means our actual curve is k*tanh().

We can assume for convenience, and hubris, that k=1 for mankind. Note that this value can shift, or we allow k>1, as multiple species of of advanced technology begin to share the same volumetric space. This is usually a result of exploration and population settlement. Consider that were we to meet a more advanced species their k would either be set to 1 or some multiple greater than. The choice, while at this point seeming academic, can in fact play a major factor in the way we model events past that point of intersection.

One can model the above hypothesis in the small by looking at human history and our explorations. Find two groups/civilizations that were seperated by geography and model their individual volumetric space. Then move those two spaces until they meet and merge their spaces. Several good examples come to mind.

- The expansion of mankind into N. America at the last Ice Age

- The expansion of China and the Middle East

- The exploration of the Spanish into N. America

With regard to tracking a given volumetric space, say our solar system, we then have a 'point' that moves along the curve. That point expands into a multi-axis representation of that volumetric space. In our case it would be a 3D model of the position of the planets and other objects with respect to time. At each point in that space there would be a tag (really one or more additional axis of a phase space) we can use to measure the 'technology level' for that voxel. We want to include our entire solar system because we have various probes and plans to probe that space in the near future. As time goes by that space will grow. When/if we were to meet another species then their space and ours would merge, as would the various phase spaces assigned to each voxel of that space.

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

James Choate