[ExI] [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: Edge 296: George Church-Craig Venter Master Class on Synthetic Genomics; Edge Summer Reading

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:17:46 UTC 2009

2009/8/6 Smári McCarthy <smari at anarchism.is>:
> I've watched the first two hours. The people there are big names like
> Larry Page, Tim O'Reilly, George Dyson and John Dvorak... and it gets
> really fun about half way into the second video when they get really
> deep into existential risks. I'm glad they're on our side.

You'd think they were on "our side" but as it turns out the majority
of them- such as O'Reilly, Venter, Church, Endy, etc.- have been
making these "super secret" startups or something. Okay, they aren't
too secret, and it's not bad to make a startup, but for all of the
open source vouching that Church, Venter and Endy do, why are they
making all of these proprietary technologies?

I am not convinced.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507