[ExI] Sea level rise

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Aug 7 13:13:29 UTC 2009

Alfio:
> Go to http://www.ipcc.ch/
> and have a look at the three working group reports
> of the IPCC for the 2007 assessment.
> Each chapter is heavily referenced.

See also:

"Scientific reticence and sea level rise."
-J. E. Hansen (NASA Giss)
(Submitted on 23 Mar 2007)
Abstract: I suggest that a "scientific reticence" is inhibiting
communication of a threat of potentially large sea level rise. Delay is
dangerous because of system inertias that could create a situation with
future sea level changes out of our control. I argue for calling together a
panel of scientific leaders to hear evidence and issue a prompt
plain-written report on current understanding of the sea level change issue.
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0703/0703220.pdf

It seems (to me) relevant what Hansen writes:
"The nonlinearity of the ice sheet problem makes
it impossible to accurately predict sea level
change on a specific date. However, as a physicist,
I find it almost inconceivable that BAU [business-as-usual]
climate change would not yield a sea level change measured
in meters on the century time scale."