[ExI] BBC article on climate change

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 19:23:04 UTC 2009

2009/8/29 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> Species are going extinct at perhaps 1,000 times the normal rate
>
> That's a really really interesting statistic. It would be even more
> interesting if I had some reason to believe it's true. My rule of thumb is
> to be suspicious of any article that uses the word "normal" without further
> elaboration.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept in this context, I fully agree. But
even though I do not have sources at hand right now nor time to search
them, I am afraid that increasingly fast loss of biodiversity is a
fact, probably much less debatably than GW.

And, there again, it might well not be (entirely?) anthropic, but
remain nevertheless a source of concern. I have no doubt that the mass
extinction of the Cambrian, which could not in any sense be anthropic,
has been a great loss for our planet, if anything in terms of
scientific interest.

--
Stefano Vaj