[ExI] Me

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Dec 4 15:24:18 UTC 2009

BillK wrote:

> On 12/4/09, Lee Corbin wrote:
> <snip>
>>  The writer is indeed very special, or has misspoke,
>>  or is deluded.
>>
>>  All that we love, we love alone? Let anyone but
>>  the OP (or his source) say it's true! I dare you.
>
> Indeed. The writer was a tortured soul.
>
> <http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alone_(Poe)>

Oh, for heaven's sake! The extra ">" at two places in

  > From childhood's hour I have not been
   As others were; I have not seen
   As others saw; I could not bring
   My passions from a common spring.
  > From the same source I have not taken
   My sorrow; I could not awaken
   My heart to joy at the same tone;
   And all I loved, I loved alone.

did make me suspect that the OP was not the original
source. Thanks so much, BillK, for doing the simple
and obvious---and tracking it down. It was Poe.
It figures.

> Although undated, it is thought to have been written when Poe was
> about 20 years old. In the middle of his teenage angst, gothic period.
> (Which pretty much continued for the rest of his short life).

Oh, I'll bet he had his ups and downs during the rest
(January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849). But how bad one's
thirties or forties are must vary hugely.

Those of us who have mild to moderate, or moderate to severe
depression from time to time, just can have no concept of
how unrelentingly bad it can be are the intensely and
chronically depressed. Some suffer from depression,
or as they used to say, melancholia, their whole lives. It
all takes us straight back to www.hedweb.org, and the
straight facts that in our benighted era so little effort
is focused on happy pills that would have very few or no
damaging side effects.

Lee