[ExI] Spirited molecules

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 19:55:24 UTC 2009

Well, I had some difficulty reading this post as I do not read the ExICh
list frequently (due to its gestapo policies).

But this topic attracted my attention.

Thel unbonded "azide" molecule (with the formula CN4) does not exist (to the
best of my knowledge to assay it).  The best using Wikipedia that I have
been able to find is possibly N3- and therefore molecules such as NaN3
(sodium azide). The statement by Derek with respect to a "Cyanogen azide"
suggests a C2N2 bonded to a N4 molecule -- which I fail to understand (I can
posit plausible explanations for the distribution of the electrons (around
many molecules) -- but I cannot posit how it is created or its actual normal
chemical makeup.

Robert