[ExI] Tolerance

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Dec 8 01:20:03 UTC 2009

On 7 Dec, 2009, at 19:39, Damien Broderick wrote:

> In practical terms, one must surely regard many mistaken ideas as
> entirely ridiculous (thetan infestation via Xenu bombing, say), and
> then one casts about for an explanation of how people could devote
> their lives and wealth to such preposterous ideas. It is
> understandable that one might conclude that such people, *in regard
> to that part of their thinking at any rate*, are indeed
> operationally stupid. But one doesn't get far in changing their
> opinions by baldly announcing this diagnosis--which is often wrong
> anyway. My dear wife tells me that Jesuits are obviously stupid (if
> they are not dissembling rogues), because they apparently believe
> such incredible bullshit. I try to convince her that, to the
> contrary, most Jesuits are smart as whips, and apply their keen
> minds to this bullshit with powerful intellects and expertise.

I think you're stating, with a lot more eloquence, the point I was
trying to make. :)

But I also think that while there are some ideas that are clearly
false (the existence of thetans, or the Heavenly Host, e.g.), there
are ideas that are not as obviously false. I fully expect that at
sometime in the far future, our descendants will be laughing at our
"juvenlie superstitions" (to quote Dawkins) about synthetic biology
and string theory. :)

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>