[ExI] Tolerance

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:29:38 UTC 2009

> But is it either wise or good to imply that when the
> tables are turned, if they ever are, that we will then
> be completely intolerant of the "stupidity" of religion?
It depends on how you define intolerance. Banning them, flogging them,
stoning them, torturing them, etc. is of course bad, but I very much
doubt anyone here or any of the main "New Atheists" would propose
that. If you mean say unequivocally they were wrong and refuse to
listen to any of their nonsense, then that isn't a problem at all.
Being intolerant of wrong ideas on a personal level (arguing against
them, disassociating oneself from those ideas and weighing it in a
decision to interact with someone who holds those ideas, etc.) is a
rational strategy, it increases the costs of their mistake, and
thereby increases the likelihood they will correct it, as well as
simply limiting the contact in your own life between you and error.
> And when it comes to that, my friends, I'm afraid
> that those of us who lack the God gene will be the
> ones outnumbered and outgunned. Do you want that?
>
> Let's please confine ourselves to an evolutionary,
> not revolutionary, approach. Evolutionary persuasion
> ---not revolutionary confrontation.
> Lee
I think we've been trying that for a number of decades now, and it
hasn't had great success. In fact, the only success its really had in
the public is that it opened the way for Dawkins and the rest. Now
obviously I am not for declaring an intellectual war or anything. But
I do think that atheists need to not be wishy-washy and somehow give
the religious the idea we think their ideas about the nature of
reality have merit. Because, honestly, they don't. Science has
disproved them or logic has shown them sorely wanting and riddled with
inconsistency. Don't go around telling people with crosses around
their necks they're " 'tards" or something offensive like that. But if
ever the subject comes up, atheists should make it clear where they
stand, and if the religious pursue it further, ensure that they do
their best to dissuade them of their error.

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com