[ExI] Tolerance

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 11:59:58 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Post Futurist <p0stfuturist at yahoo.com>

> What interests me about someone such as a Dawkins is not what he says but what he doesn't say, concerning his ambition.
>  If there is no God, then what fills the vacuum left by God's absence? Dawkins or someone else fills the void. So you replace one god with another; you replace a metaphysical god with a secular deity. Rather than place your money in an offering basket at church, you spend the funds on, say, 'The God Delusion', or 'The Greatest Show On Earth'; go to a lecture or watch a DVD by Dawkins or someone of his sort. And the secular deity stands on the podium like a priest standing in his pulpit.
> As the medium is the message, so too is the messenger the medium: the secular messiah's message is "God is dead, but I am alive; and I offer an enlightenment you might want in place of God's."

You probably wouldn't put up this argument in defence of other sorts
of nonsense, such as a belief in Santa Claus, or astrology, or the
power of crystals to heal disease, or any number of things which you
would dismiss as just obviously crap. Why should religious nonsense
get special consideration?

--
Stathis Papaioannou