[ExI] Tolerance

Olga Bourlin olga.bourlin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 05:16:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM, JOSHUA JOB <nanite1018 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I do celebrate Christmas. Generally don't do most of the religious
carols, but some, depending on what they say and so forth (I generally just
equate God with goodness and that's basically the same).

Of course you do.  Because of the women, or because of the children, or
because - even if you may have left your religious moorings - you still want
to keep celebrating something you (I am guessing) were brought up to do.
The way Muslims celebrate Ramada.  The way Jews celebrate Hanukkah.

> I celebrate Christmas because it serves as a special time to be with those
you care about and show you care through the exchange of gifts.

And why can't you do this anytime you want?  (Who's in charge here?  You?
Or Stepford Village?)

>Just about as close to perfect a holiday as you can get, in my opinion.

Perfect for you, maybe ... but, during the holly jolly Christian Heat
Season, at the cost of excluding some other people.

My last husband was culturally Jewish.  In the early 1980s, I remember how
his Nieces - young girls of 7 or 8 or 9 at the time - were asked by a couple
of their Playmates:  "Have you gotten your Christmas tree yet?"

Nieces, being Jewish, said, "No - we don't celebrate Christmas."

The next day Nieces were told by their hitherto Playmates:  "We can't play
with you anymore."

Priceless.