[ExI] Tolerance

Giulio Prisco (2nd email) eschatoon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 06:59:20 UTC 2009

Fundamentalists, of any persuasions, are those intolerant bigots who
cannot accept that others favor ideas and lifestyles different from
their own. "Atheist fundamentalists" are people whose worldview and
behavior are uniquely colored by their atheism, which they make a
religion of. They focus on bashing believers even when believers leave
them in peace and mind their own business.

They want to ban crosses and other religious symbols anywhere, not
only in public buildings and schools, but also in private homes. Like
other fundamentalists they have no sense of humor and will start their
self-righteous whining at the first mention of religion and
spirituality. And they cannot tolerate difference.

They are not better than religious fundamentalists. Actually, they are
worse because they claim to act in the name of reason.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/2009 11:51 PM, Giulio Prisco (2nd email) wrote:
>>
>> Both theist and atheist fundamentalists
>> have a right to speak their mind, of course, but I am not very
>> interested in discussing with them in their terms.
>
> I take the term "fundamentalist" to apply to one who embraces the literal
> and unalterable truth of some written revelation from one or more deities.
> Since an atheist is one who declines to accept such revelations as the basis
> for knowledge claims, I'm puzzled by how you define an "atheist
> fundamentalist". Would this be one who holds that one or more gods has
> revealed the unalterable truth that no deity exists?
>
> Damien Broderick

Giulio Prisco
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Giulio_Prisco
aka Eschatoon Magic