[ExI] Tolerance.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 10 17:44:12 UTC 2009

On Dec 10, 2009,  Post Futurist wrote:

> is China, with its 1.3 or so billion ruled by religious fundamentalists? Russia?

Both China and the old USSR were atheistic but that was incidental, none of the terrible things they did was done in the name of atheism. Can you think of any good thing done by a religious person that couldn't have been done by a goodhearted atheist? I can't. Can you think of any evil act done by a religious person that could only have been done by a religious person? Of course you can. With or without religion good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things, but for good people to do bad things you need religion.

> India?

The modern countries of both India and Pakistan were born in a sea of blood instigated by fanatical religious fundamentalists. And even today it is entirely possible that the first thermonuclear war will be a religious war between vegetarians and teetotalers.

 John K Clark