[ExI] Tolerance

David C. Harris dharris at livelib.com
Fri Dec 11 10:29:14 UTC 2009

moulton at moulton.com wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 19:38 -0800, Lee Corbin wrote:
>

>> Now here's a good analogy, one that even won't even dismay
>> the losing side:
>>
>> Atheism is like darkness, and religion is like light. Atheism
>> is not just another color of light, it's the absence of light.
>> You may ask for the frequencies of light, but not for that of
>> darkness.
>>
>> If there is no light---and in this case there just isn't---one
>> ought to prefer seeing nothing.
>>

> Very interesting analogy; particularly since the Light versus Dark
> dualism that has historical roots in many areas from India to the
> Mediterranean area and is seen in many religious traditions.
>
> Fred

Fred, do  you know of other sources of that dualism (and resurrection of
bodies and a Final Judgment), beside the Zoroastrian religion being
promoted by the Persian empire?  I'm intrigued by and want to evaluate a
claim that the Persians spread that religion to encourage loyalty in the
surrounding colonial territories, such as Israel after the Israelis were
freed from Babylon and the Persians financed building of the 2nd Temple.

   -  David Harris, Palo Alto