[ExI] Tolerance

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Fri Dec 11 14:35:59 UTC 2009

Il 11/12/2009 13.15, Stefano Vaj ha scritto:

> Yes, this is fundamental point. And I suspect that even our
> understanding of pre-christian or non-European gods are nowadays
> strongly influenced by monotheistic views (including for some of their
> followers).
>
> For instance, ancient Greeks used not to see any especially dramatic
> contradictions in the fact that very different and incompatible versions
> of the same myth were widespread. Chronology thereof was also quite vague.
>
> It has been persuasively contended that this shows that they did not
> consider statements concerning everyday life ("there is a stone in this
> basket") on the same basis as statements concerning mythical facts
> ("Pallas Athena was wounded during the Troy siege").

Agree.
This, in change, limited their ability think in terms that we give for
granted.
For example, the belief that unchanging natural laws exist and can be
discovered was not their. This came with Christianity, where God is
described as a creator that follows its own laws.
Believing in many, litigious and capricious deities don't help in
believing there are universal rules for all things.

The same thing can be see with Islam, where Allah is a capricious god,
so the idea of discovering unchangeable laws is see as a blasphemy as it
is like affirming that Allah have limits imposed to him. And blasphemy
is meet with death.

It is of interest that this idea of unfixed natural laws and
"post-normal" science is appealing to some atheists. Not many, for now.
But what would prevent people to accept more and more this way of
thinking if the grater majority don't believe or is influenced to
believe in single creator with a single set of rules always binding for all?

The existence of a god is not important, it is the idea of a god that
want be know, that love his creation, that give fixed rules for all the
creation that can not be changed that can be discovered and understood.

What could use an atheist as an anchor for continuing to believe in a
universe with fixed rules that can be know and understood and that is
good to know and understand them. Because without some anchor, the
belief will change with he time, as they always do when there is nothing
to anchor them.

Mirco