[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 14:13:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM, The Avantguardian <
avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

I interpret the replacement as using a different electronic equivalent for
each neuron, so that their specific functions (if any) will be preserved.
Understanding the neurons' inner working is not needed if you can exactly
replace their input/output functions (not an easy feat anyway...) Whether
consciousness resides inside single neurons is another matter. In that case,
inner workings will need to be replicated too.

Searle's arguments remind me of good old-fashioned dualism: there is
something in our brain cells that can't be replicated in a mechanical or
electronic equivalent. But without knowing what this "something" is, that's
just an article of faith.

Alfio