[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 18:01:21 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 12/12/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Descartes just got his grammar wrong, he thought he was a noun and
> not an adjective; but Searle is the real dualist, he clearly thinks
> intelligence and consciousness have little to do with each
> other.

Please show me how he suggests anything remotely similar.

In any case the dualism to which I refer concerns that supposed between matter and mind, not consciousness and intelligence. On Descartes view, as most people know, the two things exist independently. Descartes barely made sense of the obvious fact that mind still somehow affects matter.

Searle rejects that entire mind/matter dichotomy as obsolete (and absolute) nonsense. He attributes it to the religious pressures at work in Descartes' day.

As philosophies, materialism is passe, as is its antithesis idealism. So says Searle. I find his thoughts on this subject pretty interesting.

-gts