[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 17:56:59 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 12/13/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Incidentally why do you suppose Searle
> didn't replace the little man with one of
> those punch card reading machines? It could certainly
> do a better job than a real flesh and blood human, so why
> not use it?

Such an argument would not address the question of strong AI, where a strong AI is defined as one that has mindful understanding of its own words and does not merely speak mindlessly. Searle considers that the difference between weak and strong AI, and on this point I agree with him.

You've mentioned that you don't care about the difference between weak and strong AI. That's fine with me, but in that case neither Searle nor I have anything interesting to say to you.

Some people do care about the difference between strong and weak. I happen to count myself among them. To people like me Searle has something very interesting to say.

-gts